Letter L is for Liebster, a mysterious blogging thing.
A to Z entries: My post for each letter of the alphabet will be anecdotes or musings based on an element from the previous letter’s post. Names always changed, events always real.
~ Letter K was for Kaleidsocopy, which was about collecting all sorts of things, and so now collecting badges for the…Liebster Award. ~
The Liebster. Important sounding and enigmatic, and if you attach the word “Award” after it, it becomes downright grandiose. Only bloggers know what it means, and that’s if they’ve been “nominated” for it.
A quick explanation for the non-blogger: The blogging community is supportive of one another and kind, and the Liebster Award is designed to encourage bloggers with less than a certain number of followers to interact and get to know each other. This is done through answering a set of questions, then coming up with a set of your own, and finally nominating a bunch of bloggers to do the same. It’s like a benevolent chain letter.
To date, I’ve received five such requests – er – nominations, and I’m starting to think it’s not in good taste to ignore them. Plus, it makes for an easy “L” post, and even GG deserves “easy” once in a while. Of course, five nominations leaves me with 54 questions, instead of the normal Liebster 10 or 11. Since I suck at rules anyway – and I’m okay with that – I’ve come up with a solution. I will answer ONE complete set, by the first person who ever sent me this request. And a SECOND set, comprised of a few questions from each of the other requests to equal 11, for a total of 22.
After, I will pick a different series of questions from all sets to use as my questions for those “nominees” to whom I will pass this on. After all, no need for perfectly good questions go to waste.
And yes, even though I’m not answering all sets of questions, I am keeping all variations of the badge!
First Set: (questions by Mike at Joefloggers.com, who seems to have abandoned the blogging world)
1. What motivated you to start a blog?
There’s a tornado in my head, the blog lets me funnel it out.
2. What is your favorite animal?
I aspire to love all animals, even repulsive ones like rats, that’s why I don’t eat them.
3. What is your dream job?
Everything I do now (write, make films, act), but make enough of a living to never again have to consider non-dream jobs.
4. Does money buy happiness?
It can expedite quality of life. And for more selfless types, imagine the joy you’d bring to others. So yeah, money can buy happiness. But it doesn’t mean you can’t find happiness without it.
5. What is your favorite meal?
The one where I’m not desperately hungry, if I have to prepare it myself. If not, the one with loved ones on yearly occasions, by passionate cooks with unexpected flairs.
6. If you could meet one person, who would it be and why?
Myself, when I was around seven, to have a sensible heart-to-heart with the kid.
7. If you could live in any other time period, what time period would you pick?
The year 4000. I’m curious what a couple of millennia would bring in technology.
8. What is your favorite book or movie?
This is not a question to be answered by someone whose very favorite things are books and movies.
9. What is your favorite thing to write about?
I can’t answer this question without sounding like an ass. If you’ve deduced why: It’s not out of narcissism as much as it’s because that’s the topic I know most about.
10. Do you consider yourself successful?
Yes and no: Successful genes. Unsuccessful by standards of my own expectations — as of yet.
11. Beer or wine?
Wine. Red. Full-bodied.
1. What made you choose the title for your blog?
I chose “Gunmetal Geisha” because it represents the paradox of a feminine but steely woman.
2. When do you typically work on your blog?
24/7, my head’s constantly going.
3. Is writing a career or a hobby for you?
4. What was your very first post about? Link it up!
It’s about Loveable F*ckups and why one such f*ckups should start a blog.
5. How do you define blogging success?
Engaged readers who get you and visit religiously. I’d take fifty of those over a thousand indifferent ones.
6. What do you think was the best post you ever wrote?
I have a soft spot for many of them. But some are more practical while others have a dreamy quality. I’d choose one that incorporates both those characteristics, but there isn’t one. So I’ll choose one of each.
7. What would you change about the world if you had the power?
I’d eradicate the atrocious things humans are capable of and willing to do to each other. Especially to children.
8. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
I’ve traveled extensively through Europe a few times. Now I’m planning on one of those 18-months around the world deals.
But there’s a list of places that call me, and I’m not sure why:
Peru (the whole country)
Australia (all of it)
Coast-to-coast U.S. road trip
9. What is your biggest pet peeve?
10. What is the best book you have read recently?
Away by Amy Bloom
11. What’s the corniest joke you know?
See joke post.
To my nominees: There aren’t eleven of you. You’re the only ones that come to mind from whom I haven’t seen one of these Liebster posts. That could very well be because you’ve successfully avoided the requests, or that I’m unobservant. But I’m also genuinely interested in your answers, and I think everybody should know of your blog.
If you choose to participate, you’re supposed to pick nominees of your own to answer a new set of questions. At least that’s how chain letters work. But feel free to ignore and/or modify request. I won’t tell.
1. What inspired you to start your blog?
2. What do you consider the best post you ever wrote (link)?
3. What do you love most in this world?
4. What was the first blog you found and fell in love with?
5. What is your favorite item of clothing (that you personally own)?
6. Which author or artist has influenced you the most?
7. How do you define blogging success?
8. What have you learned recently that you might share?
9. What’s your favorite number and why?
10. Describe a happy memory to us.
~ Part of the A to Z Challenge ~
A post a day except Sunday for the month of April to cover topics beginning with each letter of the alphabet.
Cathartic Monkeyism returns in May.
◊ Thanks for your comments, shares and likes. Most of all, sincere thanks for reading.
◊ If you enjoy and want more GG, do sign up!
◊ You can also follow GG verbal and pictorial missives on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
You’re the best part of blogging
~ so tell me everything ~
WordPress informs me that below this paragraph, some random ad might appear unless I spring for the no-ad upgrade. If so, apologies.